Rechercher dans ce blog

vendredi 20 janvier 2012

Benvolio


Benvolio is a member of the Montague family. He is Romeo's cousin and a good and devoted friend to him . He wants Romeo to forget Rosaline. Even though he looks violent he is a peace maker and, at the begining of the play, he stops the fight between the Montagues and Capulets : "Your servants were fighting your ennemy's servants before I got here. I drew my sword to part them"

All along the play he helps and advises Romeo who is depressed and is moping about his sexual life. He's courageous and helpful. : "Be ruled by me. Forget to think of her"

I acted as Benvolio in class, and I liked the fact that he is thoughtful about the other characters in the play, but I regret the fact that  he doesn't appear so much.

I appreciate him because of his kindness . He cares about his friend , Romeo, and he questions him gently and learns that his problem is lovesickness.
Nevertheless , he is often violent but through it he is very affectionate which makes him a likable character.

" You can put out one fire by starting another. A new pain will make the onje you already have seem less. " , Benvolio (act 1, scene 2 )

Tim Guillot and Lea Conrath .



3 commentaires:

  1. I totally agree with what you said about Benvolio's acts and character, I think the adjectif "naif" would better fit him than "violent" or "nice". From my point of view, he seems to be part of those fights because it's where he belongs, with his family, but not because he wants it. I think he follows quietly the gang without completely agreeing with their ideas or acts because this is where he fits the best. He is so strong yet nonetheless so gentle !
    Do you agree that naif would describe him well ?
    DOBLER Coline

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Ce commentaire a été supprimé par l'auteur.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. I agree with what you said about Benvolio's poor appearing in the play, but when he does hes trying to calm the situation, beeing nice and listen to his friends, he is a very calm person, he is the kind of person we'd all like to have for a friend. When Romeo wants to be left alone, he leaves him alone; when he wants to talk, Benvolio is there to listen with a sympathetic ear. And when Romeo is in trouble for killing Tybalt, it's Benvolio who gets him off the street. Benvolio is known as a clear-thinking, and peace-loving young man. He tries to stop fighting whenever it start. I don't think that he is "naive" i just think that he is acting as a simple friend. He is acting like a friend, and as a Montague.
    BENARROCH Alicia

    RépondreSupprimer